What happens when millions gather at the same place at the same place for the same event? Accommodation costs soar. The good news is that there are things you can carry so that you can have the time of your life at the festival without becoming bankrupt.
Next to self-catering rooms, the most affordable accommodation for the Oktoberfest is to camp out. You need to book well in advance to get a tent in Munich during the festival. You get two-man tents and bedding is provided for about EUR50 per night. You also get a welcome beer and then all the beer you can drink and sangria for EUR10 a day. If you have a car or RV, it will cost you EUR35 per night for two and EUR15 for every other camper.This includes secure parking space and there are shops and restaurants nearby. Camping facilities also have facilities like bathrooms and toilets.
1. Mix of clothes including warm ones for sleeping and light, loose ones for getting down to the music and splashing beer on.
2. Dirndl if you are girls or Lederhosen for guys. These are authentic German clothes. If you are going to drink and dance like them, do it will dressed like them.
3. Small purse for ladies or money bag rather than wallet or big handbag.
4. An umbrella. It will probably rain in Munich during those days.
5. Camera to capture all the fun moments.
6. Phone to stay in touch with friends you go with and the folks back home.
7. Toiletries starting with deodorant. You’ll need it after spending days and nights dancing. Bring your own towel too- air drying is not allowed at the festival. The toothbrush is also an essential during the festival. You’ll want to start on a new day of drinking with a fresh mouth.
8. More underwear than you think you’ll need.
9. An appetite and great thirst.
10. First aid kit including aspirin for the hangover.