When the Summer Olympic Games were held in Beijing this past August (2008), the Asian-Pacific faction of PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals was protesting the cruel practices of the Chinese fur farming industry. But there are many vegans and vegetarians who love to travel and are on the look out of pure vegan/vegetarian restaurants even in China.
Vegans and Vegetarians alike visit the various restaurants that cater to their cuisine habits. Some people are quite surprised to find that there are 15 vegetarian restaurants in Beijing. And if you know food histories and origins at all, you should remember that tofu, a high protein and extremely versatile ingredient, originated in China centuries ago.
The following are the three top-rated vegetarian restaurants in the greater Beijing area:
1. Godly Vegetarian Restaurant
Godly Vegetarian Restaurant is the oldest Buddhist vegetarian restaurant in the city, and one restaurant that specialize in traditional Chinese vegetarian favorites. Some of the more well-known vegetarian dishes are:
* King Kong Huo Fang (stewed mock pork)
* mock meatballs
* mock duck
* sweet and sour mock ribs and/or fish
2. Pure Lotus Vegetarian Restaurant
Pure Lotus Vegetarian Restaurant is operated by Tibetan monks . In 2007, Beijing Reader Restaurant Awards voted Pure Lotus as the “Best Vegetarian Fare” in the city of Beijing. Some of the creative-named entrées include “hot tears fill the eyes glazed noodles” and “countenance of mercy, words of love stir-fry.” It is considered to a tasty cuisine crafted with a splash of Zen.
3. Still Thoughts
If it’s a deliciously, relaxing meal that you are craving, Still Thoughts is the vegetarian restaurant that has your name on it. Oftentimes referred to as an “intimate oasis of vegetarian calm”, it is situated in a bustling alley in the heart of Beijing. There are numerous menu favorites, but the following are considered to be the most popular taking entrée sales into consideration:
* faux-chicken hot pot
* shredded veggie-duck pancakes
* spicy mock-pork intestines dry pot
In addition to the top three, a few other Beijing vegetarian restaurants are worth mentioning. It’s just that these other vegetarian restaurants are lacking a little bit in ambience department compared to the above three.
- Cat’s Cradle – Chinese cuisine that is Lacto, Organic, and Vegan-friendly, with a juice bar and Take-out facility
- Baihe Lily Vegetarian – Chinese cuisine that is Lacto and Vegan-friendly
- Bodhi-Sake – Chinese and Vegan-friendly
- Jingfun Café – Chinese, International, and Western menus. This is a Lacto, Ovo, Vegan-friendly restaurant that also features a catering and a take-out menu as well.
- Lotus in Moonlight – features a mix of Chinese and other international cuisines that are all Vegan-friendly
Photo of mushroom soup at Pure Lotus Restaurant, Beiijing, originally posted by gruntzooki