Pet lovers all over the world face the turmoil of leaving their pets in kennels and pet care centers when they plan to go on a trip.
But if you are one of those who plan’s to take your beloved dog or a cat on your next trip, read on.
Pets become a part of your family and of course you are on a family vacation but traveling with your pets can not only be cumbersome but also take a lot of planning as airlines and hotels have a different view about accompanying pets. Some helpful tips to make your trip with pets- safe, comfortable and a memorable experience:
- Before taking your pet on any trip, complete check up of the pet is necessary and let the vet to issue a health certificate, which might be required by the airlines and the hotel also.
- Check out the policies of airlines and choose the one which has better regulations for traveling with pets. Most of the airlines which allow small pets on board allow pet carriers that can be pushed under the seat.
- However, if the animals are required to be kept in the area beneath the airplane, check for temperature control inside that area as during extreme cold or hot temperatures, might be difficult for your pets. While some airlines do not allow pets to be transported during extreme temperatures, so if you are planning a trip during off season, its best to see the policies before planning your trip.
- If you have a small pet, get a pet carrier which can be slid under your seat. Buy one which conforms to airline regulations and its best to read the literature available on carrying pets on the specific airlines, you plan to travel with.
- It is better that you pick a window seat so that you and your pet are not moved much during the trip.
- Before making hotel reservations, check out the hotel policies about keeping pets in detail. It is best to read the policies and requirements carefully before booking.
- Keep in mind that traveling with pets is more expensive as you have to pay for its separate airline ticket and hotel stay. Charges for pets are higher as there is a care and cleaning fee, which is non-refundable.
- You might also want to check with the vet whether to use a sedative during the plane ride or not; remember to carry its food dish, water bowl, pet chow and a sticker with all details of the owner, travel destination, breed and medical condition clearly mentioned.
- Keep the health condition certificate and pet’s plane ticket with you handy so that you do not have to look over at the last minute!
A good night’s rest and the whole family is ready to travel, without the heartache of leaving your beloved pet behind. Not this time!
Picture of dog in a car originally posted by Katie@!