The Krakow Industrial Heritage Route, a unique urban tourist trail, winds through the historic Polish city Krakow. Over fifteen architectural, historic and industrial landmarks build in 19th – 20th century are restored along the route and draw tourists, especially those interested in building art, cultural heritage, engineering, technology and vehicles including motorcycles. Read on to know more about various beautiful landmarks.
Juliusz Słowacki Theatre (Municipal Theatre) at Sw. Ducha Square was the first structure in the city to have electric light. The theatre, opened in 1893 for public, was taken over by the German troupe during the World War II. It had its own electricity generation plant that now features a small stage. Currently, there are four stages in the theatre that epitomizes Eclectic architecture. Allegorical figures of comedy, drama and poetry adorn its front elevation.
The old horse tram depot at St. Lawrence houses Museum of Municipal Engineering. The exhibits illustrate various developmental stages of audio and video techniques, gas and public transport sectors, home appliances, measuring instruments, municipal engineering, office and other technologies and power plants. However, emphasis is on the Polish contribution in these areas. Car and motorcycle designers and enthusiasts would love “Around the Wheel” and “From the History of Polish Automotive Industry” exhibitions in the Hall D and “Lawrence Tram” in the Hall F. A horse tram built in 1882 and motorcycles and cars manufactured in Krakow are also on display.
The Oskar Schindler’s Enamel factory at Lipowa Street houses a museum managed by the Historical Museum of the City of Krakow. A permanent exhibition “Krakow-Time of Occupation 1939-1945” in its administrative building focuses on life under Nazi reign. The factory shop floors will be converted into a Museum of Modern Art. Oskar Schindler, a German military intelligence agent and a member of Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterpartei (NSDAP/Nazi Party), acquired bankrupt Rekord, the enamel-vessel business run by the Jewish entrepreneurs, and renamed it as Deutsche Emailwarenfabrik – DEF in 1939 when World War II began. He expanded the factory as per existing plan and introduced new products such as mess tins, aerial bombs and cartridge fuses and cases for artillery shells. In 1943, he moved its factory and labor to Brunnlitz in Bohemia due to precarious circumstances. The abandoned factory at Lipowa was nationalized later on and Telpod, a manufacturer of telecommunications sub-assemblies, operated from here between 1948 and 2002. Some of the original architectural elements- gable roofs, façade and the entrance gate- are still preserved.
Hotel Deals in Krakow
Hotel Bonerowski Palace, Krakow
The 5 star Bonerowski Palace Hotel is located on the Main Market Square in Krakow, Poland. Stay 4 nights and save 10% on a double room!
Hotel Rubinstein, Krakow
The 4 star Rubinstein Hotel is situated in the historic Kazimierz district in Karkow. Stay 3 nights and save 10% on a double room!
Check out more Hot Deals for Krakow!