Although India has become a hot tourist destination in the resent years, there must be many of you who would be coming here for the first time. Apart from the cultural differences, there are many other things to remember when you are in India. Indian Railways is the largest railway network in the world and if you are planning to go around India in your trip, it is also the cheapest way to travel.
But keep a few things in mind as this is India and you may have a very different experience than what you had thought off!
1. If you are on mineral water and never tried local eateries, do not try the food served on trains or local station platforms. The chance of getting a stomach infection is high.
2. It is better to take pre packed snacks such as cookies, sandwiches, wafers and other hygienically packed snacks before boarding the train.
3. Look after your luggage. Foreign tourists’ baggage seems more lucrative than the locals so keep an eye all through your journey. It is better to buy a small chain and lock and secure it to your berth.
4. As there are many pick pockets on the crowded stations, keep your important documents and money next to your skin, not in your wallets.
5. In case, you have misplaced your ticket or lost it, go to the nearest police constable or report to the railway authority. Be wary of touts and agents.
6. Dressing in the local attire will help you mingle in with the rest of the crowd. I may sound conservative, but avoid shorts and spaghetti straps so that you can enjoy your trip and not get ogled by the locals.
7. Keep your country’s embassy phone number and address always on person as in case of any emergency.
These tips are just to keep you safe and comfortable. Indians are friendly and warm people otherwise. So, enjoy the rustic charms of the interior of India as your travel in the train and see myriad of cultures living together for centuries.
Photo of Indian train originally posted by Arpana Sanja