Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!
For those who are wondering why Thanksgiving is such an important celebration in the United States, here are some Thanksgiving facts:
1. Every year, on the fourth Thursday in November, Thanksgiving Day is celebrated in the United States; while in Canada, Thanksgiving is celebrated on the second Monday in October.
2. The first to celebrate Thanksgiving were the Plymouth pilgrims, who arrived in North America in December 1620. They had sailed across the Atlantic Ocean to reach North America and celebrated the first Thanksgiving Day in the fall of 1621 at Plymouth, Massachussetts. The first Thanksgiving celebration lasted three days.
3. In 1789, President George Washington issued the first national Thanksgiving Day Proclamation. In 1817, the state of New York officially made it an annual custom.
4. In 1827, Sarah Josepha Hale, a magazine editor, undertook a Thanksgiving campaign which resulted in the acknowledgement of Thanksgiving as a National Thanksgiving and Prayer Day.
5. Up until 1863, every year the President decided the day Thanksgiving had to be celebrated. Thereafter, Abraham Lincoln set the national Thanksgiving date to be the last Thursday of November.
6. In 1941, the Congress finally passed an official proclamation declaring that from now onwards Thanksgiving will be a legally recognized holiday to be celebrated annually on the 4th Thursday of November.
And for a great Thanksgiving meal, nothing more useful than a mouth-watering turkey recipe! Enjoy!
Last Minute Roast Stuffed Turkey Recipe:
- - 7 Kg to 15 Kg dressed turkey (fresh or frozen)
- - Kosher salt and ground pepper
- - Sage, thyme, garlic powder, onion powder and your choice’s dried herbs and spices
- - Optional: stuffing (dressing) of your choice
- - Oil
- - Turkey Gravy
Preparation time: 30 min & Turkey Cooking time: 30 min
Pumpkin Pie Recipe
Ingredients for the Pumpkin Pie Crust
- - flour: 1 1/4 cups
- - cinnemon: 1 teaspoon
- - sugar: 2 teaspoons
- - salt
- - frozen butter: 4 tablespoons cut in pieces
- - vegetable shortening: 1/4 cup, frozen in pieces
- - 1/2 lightly beaten egg
- - cold water: 2 to 3 tablespoons
Ingredients for the Pumpkin Pie filling:
- - light brown sugar: 3/4 cup
- - salt: 1/2 teaspoon
- - cinnamon: 1 teaspoon
- - ground ginger: 1/2 teaspoon
- - ground cloves: 1/4 teaspoon
- - 2 eggs
- - 1 can solid pack pumpkin (425 gr)
- - 1 can evaporated milk (340 gr)