Rich with culture and steeped with history dating back to ancient and mythological times, the island of Crete offers an abundance of attractions, dining, entertainment, and lodging to satisfy the tastes of any and all visitors. The gay and lesbian community has also found its local and tourist niche here as well, and today there is an abundance of things to see and do when visiting and exploring this legendary Mediterranean destination.
If it’s a quieter and relaxing vacation that you want, then stick to the West side of the island. On the other hand, if you’re craving entertainment and more of a night owl, then by all means, the Eastern side was made for you. In general, no matter where you travel and venture out onto the island, there is always something, so don’t let the East-West differentiation become a hard and fast rule. Here are some of the more popular gay destinations in Crete.
Recommended gay-friendly towns to visit on Crete
- Chania – the diverse landscape and location atop the Samana Gorge are reason enough to see this town. If you’re the active type, there is an abundance of paths and trails that you could spend days exploring.
- Heraklion – the city is most recognized for its numerous museums and the variety of sports venues. However, the cuisine that you will find here is some of the best anywhere on the island.
- Lassithi – the easternmost region of Crete. The mild year round climate and the stunning coastline attract many visitors annually. Excellent mass transportation here enables you to go anywhere with ease.
- Rethymno – rich in history with a Minoan emphasis, this city has so much to offer the tourist that a couple of days here surely won’t be enough time to explore the delights and events available.
Gay-friendly night spots on Crete
Depending on whether you want excitement or quiet, you have so many options with the gay nightlife on Crete.
- The Camelot is the spot for nightclubbing according to most critics. It’s lively and you are sure to make new friends spending an evening there.
- On the other hand, if you want to relax in a more subdued atmosphere, Vinnie’s Garden in Koutouloufari is the place. Privacy is key here and the quiet ambiance makes it perfect.
Picture of the Bay of Balos, Crete, Greece, by Wolfgang Staudt