Follow us

Top 5 Attractions in Lake Geneva, Switzerland

Monday, May 17th, 2010

In terms of largest freshwater and natural (not manmade) lakes of a continent, and in terms of volume, all other European lakes pale in comparison to Lake Geneva in Switzerland. Additionally, there are not many winter ski vacation destinations that can compete with this area either. Interestingly enough, 60% of the lake is governed by Switzerland while the other 40% is governed by France. However, this does not detract from the allure of this destination nor its amazing landscape during any season of the year.

Lake Geneva in Switzerland

The region is home to 4 distinctly different languages heard on a regular basis – English, French, German, and Italian both with the tourist trade and many locals or chalet owners. Lake Geneva is a part of the Rhone River Valley and its natural beauty. Every bend in this historic river holds another wonder of nature that needs to be experienced.  However, there may not be anything that can surpass the grandeur of the Lake Geneva area and the villages found on the lake’s shores.

Consider putting the following on your Lake Geneva sightseeing agenda while visiting the city and the surrounding areas:

Chamonix and Mont Blanc

If you’re looking to spend a great day in the mountains of the region then venture out to one of the most famous villages in France, nearby the Swiss border, Chamonix.  A nice drive through the mountains, cable car rides, and the breathtaking panorama of Mont Blanc are at hand on this day trip.

Geneva City Tour

For a half day, in-depth view of Geneva, be sure to take this tour.  You’ll take a brief bus ride with your guide, board a cruise, and then a train ride while on this tour of the city.

Gruyeres and the Golden Express

You’ll be able to see some Switzerland’s most spectacular landscapes when you spend your day on both a full coach and then a train ride from Geneva.  The atmosphere at Gruyeres is nothing short of enchanting with its meadows and rolling hills. Lake Geneva and the Swiss Alps towering peaks great you after descend the hillside into Montreux.

Chillon, Lausanne, and Montreux

Two cities and a historic castle are on the agenda when you visit the cities of Lausanne and Montreux, and take the tour of Chillon’s famous castle.  You’ll be driving through Switzerland’s beautiful countryside in the process.


No visit to Geneva is complete without visiting the renowned village of Gstaad.  Ride the Cable Car Glacier 3000 above the snow-capped Alps’ peaks and hike over a glacier.  You can enjoy a coffee break at a restaurant that offers some spectacular panoramas while you relax for a bit.  Your tour ends in the village of Gstaad, well known for its winter recreation opportunities.

Great accommodation in Lake Geneva area

  • Agora Hotel Lausanne – 4-star hotel in Lausanne. Room rates starting from € 71/£ 60.4/$ 90.2. Guest Rating: 7.9
  • Hotel de Famille – 3-star hotel in Vevey (Montreux). Room rates starting from € 49.8/£ 42.3/$ 63.2. Guest Rating: 7.4
  • Hotel Les Arcades - 2-star hotel in Geneva. Room rates starting from € 73/£ 62.2/$ 92.9. Guest Rating: 7.6

Photo of Lake Geneva or Lake Léman by slack12.

Share this article:

About the author

Venere Travel Blog writer anita choudhary

Anita Choudhary is a freelance writer and travel blogger based in New Delhi, India. She loves to travel and has traveled extensively in India. Exploring new places, reading and writing are her hobbies.

2 responses to “Top 5 Attractions in Lake Geneva, Switzerland”

Report an inappropriate comment
  1. Teresa says:
    January 25th, 2014 at 03:06

    I am sure this piece of writing has touched all the internet users,
    its really really nice post on building up new webpage.

  2. Indian Restaurant in Geneva says:
    December 16th, 2014 at 10:46

    Along with all these attractions in Geneva, you should visit the best Indian restaurant in Geneva, “Chandigarh Tandoori”! This is one of the best Indian restaurants here and is famous for its tandoories and curry. The delicious indian cuisine here will make you visit this restaurant again and again.

Leave a comment

 (will not be published) (required)