Whether it’s golden sand or rocky lagoons, Athens, Greece, has a nearby coastline with wide variety of beaches within a relatively short distance from the center of the city.
All of the beaches near Athens get extremely busy during the months of May through July and even the more expensive bungalows and resort hotels need to be booked far in advance. Be aware that most of these beaches are “private”, meaning that you will have to pay an entrance fee to enjoy swimming.
The best beaches are located along the south-east coast in the Glyfada district, and the beaches north-east of the city near the Marathon district are very peaceful. You can also find some nice beaches along Athens’ east coast near Rafina, a smaller seaport near the city. However, most of the time, these beaches are very crowded.
The following is a list of the top 8 recommended beaches near Athens including the distance to them from the center of the city.
- Votsalakia – Located 9km (5.6 mi.) from the center of Athens with beautiful sandy beaches and numerous sports facilities.
- Alimos – located 11km (6.8 mi.) south of the center of Athens. Located directly north of Ellinikon airport (the older facility), there are sandy beaches and sports facilities awaiting the traveler.
- Glyfada – located 16km (10 mi.) south and east from the center of Athens, this seaside resort area offers some of the best marinas and a large array of water sports. For those parents who are traveling with children, Glyfada is an ideal destination.
- Voula Beach – located 17km (10.6 mi.) from the center of Athens, the clean and sandy beach features tennis and volleyball courts for hire should you be interested.
- Kavouri – located 20km (12.4 mi.) south and east from the center of Athens, Kavouri is one of the “free” beaches that feature a very clean and sandy beach.
- Vouliagmeni Beach – located 23km (14.3 mi.) from the center of Athens, this beach has every thing you need for enjoying a relaxing day. There is a children’s play area, tennis and volleyball courts, and a water slide. Additionally, Vouliagmeni is a “free” beach that features individual cabins as well as a canteen and a restaurant.
- Kokkino Limanaki – located 26km (16.2 mi.) south and east of the center of Athens, the blue-green waters of this sandy beach are sure to impress you.
- Varkiza Beach – located 27km (16.8 mi.) south and east of the center of Athens, Varkiza is one of the “free” beaches and very well organized. Tennis and volleyball courts (hired by the hour during the day or evening), a children’s play area, and several snack bars are all available to the traveling family.
Photo of Vola Beach, Greece, by RobW_