As you rise above the banks of the Enguri Su climbing the rather steep incline, you finally arrive in the city of Ankara the capital and the second largest population in Turkey. Despite the modernization that has occurred over the past few decades, it is still dotted with reminders of its past history. Today, Ankara is filled with a bustling nightlife, consulates, government and state houses, military bases, and universities just like any major metropolitan area.Conversely, there are so many structures that remind you where Ankara had its place in ancient and past history. Byzantine, Hellenistic, Hittite, Ottoman, Phrygian, and Roman castles as well as other ruins and structures from these civilizations still adorn the surrounding landscape. So you can be sure that Ankara has held a very prominent place in past history. Here is a listing of some of the more popular visitor’s delights in Ankara.
Top 3 Ankara Museums
If museums are what you crave there are three that are a must-see in Ankara:
• The Enthography Museum – located near Ankara Castle
• The Museum of Anatolian Civilizations – a display of artifacts from the Ottoman Empire is the main attraction
• The State Art and Sculpture Museum – features Turkish artwork from the 1800’s to modern day
The Ankara Citadel
Despite the surrounding landscape the most touted of all attraction is the Ankara Citadel (Hisar) – originally having the foundation laid by the Gallatians, it was not until the time of the Romans that this structure was completed. There are numerous displays of the traditional Turkish architecture within this hilltop locale.
Top 3 Entertainment and Night Spots in Ankara
For those of you who crave some excitement, Ankara has more than what initially meets the eye, with the following being the top three spots to party and just have a great evening:
• Kinacilar Bar – on of the best bar/club combinations in the city with great drinks and music, but the dance floor is small and gets very crowded
• Sherlock Holmes – this is the dance club/disco venue that you will hear the locals rave about so exploring its amenities is worthwhile
• The Lord Kinross – this is the top bar/club/restaurant combo. The food is excellent, the music is a good mix of live and DJ-piped-in, and dancing the night away is the norm.
Top 3 Restaurants in Ankara
Different yet delicious is about the easiest way to describe the Turkish cuisine, and the following are the three best restaurants in Ankara:
• Kalbur – the finest seafood in all of Ankara awaits you at this establishment
• Trilye Restaurant – the best of Turkish cuisine anywhere in the city. Key features of this establishment are the ability to provide you with all the amenities, whether it is business, outdoor seating, or a romantic interlude.
• Mezzaluna – Ankara’s best offering of Italian cuisine and there a lot of choices for that venue, but this one stands heads above all the others.
Photo of mosque in Ankar, Turkey by Alaskan Dude